Wednesday, September 28, 2011

I'm still here...

I know I haven't posted lately.  It may even have seemed that I disappeared from the face of the earth.  But no, I'm still here.  I've just been really busy.  I pretty much spent the entire summer preparing for this school year.  Then we went on vacation in August and started school 2 days after getting back.  I'll admit, I've been a little stressed about schooling this year.  This may seem odd since I've been homeschooling since 2005.  However, this is the first year that I am actually homeschooling all 4 of my children.  The 2 older ones and I had a good schedule and routine.  Then last year, we threw a kindergartner into the mix and it all fell apart!  So, this year I didn't want a repeat of last year.  Which is why I spent the entire summer trying to plan and prepare for EVERYTHING!  I turned into a hairy, mean grizzly bear and I'm sure more than one member of my family wished I was living in a cave!

We are now 5 weeks in and everything is actually going pretty well.  I'm making a few changes and modifications as needed but for the most part, things are good.  I'm definitely less stressed now.  Some may wonder why I put myself through this, having to plan and prepare a curriculum for 4 kids all on my own when I could have it done for free by the public school system through one of their "at-home" programs.  There are several reasons, first and foremost being that I want to be in control of what my kids read and learn.  I believe in a Creator and I love that I can teach my children with books that give credit where credit is due, rather than a fairy tale they call evolution.  I've also heard from friends who do the "public-school-at-home" that if you fall behind one day, it is really hard to get caught up.  I love that if someone is having a hard time understanding something, we can spend a few days on that.  If there is something they already know, we can just skip it.  Or if we want to go do a field trip to a local historic sight out of the blue, we can.  You just don't have that type of freedom when someone else is dictating what you must or must not teach your kids.

I have stepped outside of my comfort zone a bit this year and signed us up for several programs at the Charleston Museum and the county parks.  Everyone is finally big enough that we can do this and it has been fun so far.

Anyways, that's where I've been.  I've got a remedy I discovered for, hmmm, how to put this...tummy troubles, so I'll have to get back here soon and post that.  I've added a new "page" for files and I've included a Bible story workbook to be used along with My Book of Bible Stories.

3 comments:

95acresofsky said...

Just want to say thanks for posting all that info on natural treatments for animals, I'll be trying out the use of GSE for my chickens for sure! I hope that you'll be back posting soon : )

EarthMama said...

Thanks! The GSE is working so well for us that we have had no more issues with our chickens (disease related).

Anonymous said...

AWSOME!