Friday, April 17, 2020

Laura's Banana Cake Gluten Free

Laura's Banana Cake Gluten Free

Early in my married life, I would delight in the sweet treats made by a family friend.  One of these was Banana Cake.  She gave me the recipe and I typed it onto an index card and put it in a little picture album where it has remained to this day.  Actually, it is the only recipe from my early days that I still use on a regular basis.  Upon going gluten-free, I knew this was one thing I would NOT be giving up so I tried it, substituting regular flour for my gluten-free blend, and it turned out great!  So anytime you've got some leftover bananas that are past that "just right to eat" stage,  bake up this yummy dessert.

Laura's Banana Cake

1 1/2 C sugar
2/3 C butter or butter substitute
2 eggs (slightly beaten)
1/2 C sour milk*
1 t vanilla
2 C gluten free flour**
1/2 t xanthan gum or ground flax seed
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 C smashed bananas

Glaze:
 1 C powdered sugar
1 1/2 T butter
1 t vanilla
Sour cream (start with a couple tablespoons and add more as needed)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 9 x 13 pan.  In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until well combined.  Add eggs, milk and vanilla.  In a separate bowl (I use the measuring cup I used to measure the milk), smash bananas until there are no more large chunks.  In yet another bowl, mix dry ingredients.  Add dry ingredients alternately with bananas, ending with flour.  Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out dry.  While your cake is baking, mix up glaze and refrigerate until your ready to use.  When mixing glaze, you want a loose consistency.  This is not a thick icing.  If you are using a thick sour cream (I use yogurt in a pinch), you can use milk after the initial sour cream to loosen it up a bit.  Once your cake is completely cool, pour on glaze, spread over entire cake and sprinkle with finely chopped walnuts.  I'll post a picture the next time I make it.

*If you don't have any sour milk, sour milk by adding 1 t of vinegar or lemon juice to regular milk.  Any type of milk will work.  I usually use almond or goat.  You can also add a little yogurt or kefir to the milk instead.  In a pinch, I have used yogurt instead of the milk.

** I make my own GF all purpose flour by combining 48oz of brown rice flour, 24oz potato starch and 24oz tapioca starch.  For a lighter blend, add an additional 24oz of starch.  Mix well and store in an air tight container.

Printable Version: Laura's Banana Cake

No comments: