Friday, July 31, 2015

Gluten Free Oatmeal Walnut Cookies with Black Currants (Blood Type Diet-Type A Compliant)

So, I recently started the Eat Right 4 Your Type Diet, aka Blood Type Diet, in an effort to improve my health.  This comes after an epic fail with the Paleo diet.  Basically everything I was eating on Paleo are avoids on the BTD; meat (especially beef & pork), coconut, sweet potatoes, yuca, cashews, plantains, bananas.  Wow!  I've never given much credence to the BTD but after experiencing declining health on Paleo, while everyone else is boasting about all the diseases they've cured, I decided maybe there was something to it after all.  So, I am giving it a trial run and we'll see where I go from there.  It is really hard adjusting to eating some grains again, though.  I was off grains even before doing the Whole 30 in February and my Paleo brainwashed brain is fighting me every step of the way.  But a sweet tooth is a sweet tooth and I've been craving oats. Here's a cookie recipe based on one by Bakerita that I have modified to comply with Type A diet.  Of course, if you don't have black currants on hand, you can omit them or substitute raisins but I'm really loving the flavor of these little berries!

Oatmeal Walnut Cookies with Black Currants

2/3 C ghee, olive oil (or combination of both)
1/2 C applesauce
1/2 C maple syrup
1-2 T blackstrap molasses (to taste)
3 eggs
1 t vanilla
1 C gf oat flour (just blend oats until fine)
1/4 C tapioca, arrowroot or rice flour (or combination)
1/4 C walnut flour (gently blend until fine, overblend and you'll have butter)
1 t baking soda
1/2 t pink salt (or other sea salt)
3 C gf rolled oats
1 C coarsely chopped walnuts (or up to 1/4 cup more if you like)
1 C black currants or raisins (optional)



Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Mix together the first 4 ingredients until well blended (room temperature works best but my syrup was cold and it blended fine).  Add eggs and vanilla.  In a separate bowl, combine flours, baking soda and salt.  Mix, then stir into wet ingredients.  Fold in oats, walnuts and currants.  Use a small scoop to place on cookie sheet and slightly flatten.  These don't spread.  Bake for 12 minutes, remove from oven and allow to cool for a minute or 2, then transfer to cooling rack.  I store mine in the freezer.  They can be eaten straight out of the freezer or allow to warm to room temperature.

No comments: