Friday, April 17, 2020

Gluten Free German Apple Pie Pancake (Pannekoeken) is not just for breakfast!


In fact, we rarely eat it for breakfast, though I'll admit we did one weekend when we had company.  My friend replied, "I think this is a first.  Ice cream with breakfast!"  I always figure, if your going to occassionally eat bad, do it early so you have a chance to burn if off throughout the day instead of eating it right before you go to bed.  Works for me.  Anyways, saw a pannekoeken on Drivers, Dine-Ins and Dives one night (my husband watches, not me!) and I thought, I've got to have one of those!  So I googled a recipe but it wasn't quite what we wanted so we modified, modified, modified and here you have the finished product.  I will link to the original gluten recipe so you can try it as originally written if you so desire.  We like it with a thicker pancake and lots of apples and cinnamon.  If you want a thinner pancake, reduce the pancake batter by 1/2.  You can use any gluten free all purpose blend, I use my own, of course, but this recipe does not require xanthan gum.   


Gluten Free German Apple Pie Pancake (Pannekoeken)

8 apples (or enough to fill up the bottom of your cast iron skillet), peeled, cored and sliced
2 t ground cinnamon (more or less to taste)
1/2 t nutmeg
1 C organic sugar (or 1/2 C sugar and 1/2 C maple syrup)
1/2 C butter or non-dairy substitute
1 C milk
6 eggs
1 T vanilla extract
1 C gf all purpose flour
1 t sugar
Powdered sugar, whipped cream or ice cream for topping

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Place apples in pan.  Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg.  Add butter and sugar.  Turn heat to medium and cook until slightly soft, about 6 to 8 minutes.

Apples cooking
While apples are cooking, prepare the batter.  Mix the milk, vanilla and eggs in a bowl.  Add the flour, sugar and salt and whisk to remove most of the lumps.


Add the batter all at once to middle of the pan then ever so slightly, swirl the apple mixture through the batter. You do NOT want it completely mixed in.  Cook until small bubbles form around the edge.

Batter has been poured in


Finish cooking in the oven for about 10 to 12 minutes.  To serve, you can invert onto a plate (better idea if you used less batter) or serve directly out of the pan (if you made as written).  Add your topping of choice and enjoy!


Finished product!  YUM!!!


Recipe based on this recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/pannekoeken-apple-pie-pancake-german-478280

Printable Version Here: Gluten Free German Apple Pie Pancake

No comments: